January 2014 - DSE Conference February 1, 2014 - If you have not heard Sue Buckley speak before, you are missing out if you do not attend this conference. She will be presenting across a variety of educational topics with Becky Baxter, another excellent presenter. The conference is at UCI in the Student Center. Cost is $125 per person and registration is open for a few more days. You can register through Eventbrite at: https://dseconference.eventbrite.com. If you are with a regional center (other than Orange County), you can also request that they pay for your attendance. The vendor number for the conference is PM1261.
Conference take away for attendees include:
- The latest relevant research findings that indicate effective ways to help people with Down syndrome learn.
- How we can use this research to develop practical methods and activities to promote academic development and independence in the home and in education settings.
- Techniques, tips and strategies which parents and professionals can use immediately to improve learning outcomes.
Topics covered include:
- Specific learning profile of those with Down syndrome
- Developing working memory skills
- Developing speech, language and communication skills
- Developing reading and literacy skills
- Developing number and math skills
- Supporting full inclusion and meaningful lives
- Social development, friendships and behavior
- Managing behavior
- Developing motor skills and independence
- Encouraging age appropriate behavior
- Cognition, play and numerals
- Strategies for accessing the curriculum
We hope to see you there!